Monday, July 12, 2010

Musings of an Indecisive Bride

To elope or not to elope, that is the question.
Whether ‘tis nobler in the mind to suffer
the slings and arrows of discontent family
or to take arms against Wedding Industries
and by opposing end them.

The most I’ve spent on anything at one time (outside of rent and utilities, which my parents cover anyway since I’m still in school, so this doesn’t really count) is a plane ticket. Said plane ticket was $440 and hurt me a little in my special place I like to call Jo-Jo. Jo Jo is my money monkey. Jo Jo doesn’t like spending money. Jo Jo likes saving it in nice little savings accounts or investing it in safe things like IRAs. My fiancé is similarly minded. However, his monkey’s name is Mojo Jo Jo, much like the Power Puff Girls’ rival, though his is much cuter and wears a white lab coat.

That being said, I’m in an awkward situation. At this point I am resigned to having a wedding, albeit budget and very DIY. My problem comes from the fact that I’ve no idea of a venue to fit in said budget that has nearby caterers and a pleasant atmosphere. With a guest list looking like 30-50 people (50 being max, 30 being much more likely), it’s hard to find an appropriate venue. Most intimate settings like a bed and breakfast are much too small to house that many people, while larger places seem to be fit more for at least twice as many people and have an accompanying larger cost. And as I’m looking in Iowa for venues, even if I do find an appropriate venue, there are few restaurants or caterers nearby (food is important to my fiancé and we’re both basically vegetarian).

Now, my parents are paying for the wedding. That being said, I still really dislike spending money on things I see as frivolous, such as weddings. And the expectations! Oh the expectations! “Say Yes to the Dress” telling me $1500 is a tight budget for a wedding dress, over a hundred dollars for a bouquet (a single bouquet!), the necessity of flowers, the necessity of expensive bridesmaid dresses, tux rentals, ordering custom invitations, how to walk down the freaking aisle, etc. It’s downright ridiculous and not what I want. Figuring out what I do want in Iowa, however, is difficult. I pray Brandon the wedding planner can help with getting all the logistics figured out and make it easy for me to have a wedding I’ll be happy with.

A wedding planner?! Yes, a wedding planner. I didn’t think I’d go there, but as I’ll be in a different state beginning 9 months before the wedding, it’s necessary for keeping my mother sane, I fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment